Dear Friends and Arizona Citizens,
Here’s a link to yesterday’s front page article Book it: We’ll pay more to keep inmates in jail.
“County officials say it’s inevitable: either vote to approve the temporary state sales-tax increase May 18 – and raise your taxes – or turn down the measure and your property tax will go up to pay for things the state can’t afford, including keeping prisoners locked away.” (Andrea Kelly, Arizona Daily Star)
One cent sales tax or property tax hike. The choice is ours. :)
A healthy eating plan can be illustrated in many ways.
Mayo Clinic.com offers five (out of many) food pyramid guides — Asian, Latin American, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, and Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid.
These pyramids emphasize:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables followed by whole grains
- Reduce intake of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol
- Limit salt and sweets
- Include physical activity
- Drink alcoholic beverage in moderation, if at all
- Control portion sizes
Quick tips on portion sizes:
- One ounce cooked pasta = 1/2 cup
- Three ounces of meat, poultry, or fish = a deck of playing cards
- One ounce of cheese = your thumb or two dominoes
- One-half cup of fruit, vegetables, pasta, or rice = a small fist
- One cup of milk, yogurt, or chopped fresh greens = a small hand holding a tennis ball
- A teaspoon of butter or margarine = the tip of your thumb to the first joint
Want to know your recommended daily consumption per food group? Enter your information for a customized food guide!
- blogging tips
- Book Review
- Fun and Games
- Health and Wellness
- Self Help